Sunday 16 March 2008

Rachel Corie... we won't forget

On this day, 5 years ago, a flower was cruelly crushed by Israeli hands. That flower, Rachel Corie, makes us all seem small and selfish.
Rachel was a volunteer with the International Solidarity Movement in Palestine. She was trying to protect the house of a
Palestinian family in Rafah from being demolished by the Israeli army, when an Israeli bulldozer mercilessly ran over her. Twice.(1)

This is part of an email Rachel wrote to her parents from Palestine: "This has to stop. I think it is a good idea for us all to drop everything and devote our lives to making this stop. I don’t think it’s an extremist thing to do anymore. I really want to dance around to Pat Benatar and have boyfriends and make comics for my co-workers. But I also want this to stop. Disbelief and horror is what I feel. Disappointment. I am disappointed that this is the base reality of our world and that we, in fact, participate in it. This is not at all what I asked for when I came into this world. This is not at all what the people here asked for when they came into this world. This is not what they are asking for now. This is not the world you and Dad wanted me to come into when you decided to have me."(2)


Rachel Corie... we won't forget

--------------------
(1) For a full account of Rachel's murder, see The Moments Before Rachel Corrie's Murder
http://www.ccmep.org/2003_articles/Palestine/032003_the_moments_before.htm
(2)http://www.partnersforpeace.org/pressreleases/db200303190/

No comments: